[Yeast] oleic acid medium

Anna Amelina via yeast%40net.bio.net (by aamelina At gmail.com)
Tue Dec 19 08:21:14 EST 2006

Does anyone can suggest me the recipe of oleic acid-containing media?
I've just started working with yeast and I use them for peroxisomes
isolation. Normally there are few peroxisomes in yeast cells, but I read
that growth on oleic acid can lead to proliferation of peroxisomes.
The main problem I found is that oleic acid commercially available (Sigma)
is not soluble in water, only in ethanol. Can presence of ethanol in media
be a problem for normal yeast growth?
Well, if anyone worked with peroxisomes proliferation induction in yeast
cells and can help m ewith some protocols, etc., I'll be very grateful!
Thank you in advance,
Hanna, PhD student from Stockholm University