[Yeast] yeast fermentation

Desai, Hemant K hemant.k.desai at pfizer.com
Thu Feb 9 06:00:01 EST 2006

Dear Sir,

            I am a final year student studying Chemical Engineering
B,Eng Degree. As a part of my course I am required to complete a design
project. This project is to produce 1200 metric tonnes per rear of
Torula Yeast using a batch process. I am struggling to understand the
process. I would be grateful if you could help me.

            My design brief is to use the principle nutrient to be
molasses, waste product from sugar cane process. The feed molasses to be
sterilised prior to entering the fermenter where yeast is grown. I have
to produce a process flow diagram, including material and energy balance
and process conditions (temp/ pressure/ flow). The basis and assumptions
made for calculation. The P&I Diagram. The project is to include plant
design, equipment list, specification of all major equipment with
materials of construction, Plant layout. Start up, normal shutdown,
emergency shut-down procedure, process safety consideration, including
environmental impact, hazard assessment of part of the process. Estimate
of capital and operating costs.

            I would be extremely grateful if you can provide any
information to help me complete my study assignment. I am struggling to
make a start on the process chemistry involved. What stoichiometric
equations I should use etc.

            Please let me know if you can help I need urgent help. Kind
regards Ketan Kumar Desai.