[Yeast] mitochondria

Maria Costanzo via yeast%40net.bio.net (by maria from genome.stanford.edu)
Thu Aug 16 09:14:34 EST 2007

Dear Ray,

In yeast, mitochondria are typically not found as the peanut-shaped
organelles that we all remember from our biochemistry textbooks; they
more often form a network of branching and interconnected tubules. An
excellent recent review on mitchondrial dynamics is:

Okamoto K, Shaw JM.
Mitochondrial morphology and dynamics in yeast and multicellular
eukaryotes.
Annu Rev Genet. 2005;39:503-36. Review.
PMID: 16285870

So it's not really possible to answer the question of how many
mitochondria there are. The number of copies of the mitochondrial
genome is usually estimated as 25-50 copies per cell. There is
discussion of the issue and references to additional studies in this
paper:

MacAlpine DM, Perlman PS, Butow RA.
The numbers of individual mitochondrial DNA molecules and
mitochondrial DNA nucleoids in yeast are co-regulated by the general
amino acid control pathway.
EMBO J. 2000 Feb 15;19(4):767-75.
PMID: 10675346

I haven't been able to find any hard numbers on how the copy number
changes under different metabolic conditions. Maybe someone else on
the list will be able to supply a reference for that.

Best regards,
Maria

Maria C. Costanzo, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator, Saccharomyces Genome Database
   and Candida Genome Database
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA 94305-5120