[Yeast] Cheap yeast extract/ proteose peptone for YPD?

Andrew Carter via yeast%40net.bio.net (by cartera from cmp.ucsf.edu)
Tue Dec 2 22:42:28 EST 2008

Dear All
I saw a thread similar to my current question back in the
mid 90s, but was wondering if anyone has an update.
We currently buy yeast extract and proteose peptone from
Becton Dickinson (via Fisher) for making YPD.  However I
am beginning to do some large scale fermenter growths and
the cost is getting prohibitive.  I notice that there are
much cheaper versions available (eg Sigma yeast extract
REF 09182 is almost 5 times cheaper per kg than Bacto
Yeast Extract).  My question is whether anyone can
recommend a good (and cheap) combination of yeast extract
and proteose peptone that allows normal yeast growth (to a
similar OD etc).

Alternatively does anyone have any good ideas about cheap
media receipes for growing yeast to very high density in a
fed-batch fermenter run?  Anyone ever tried using malt
extract (from a brew shop - seems cheap) for a protein
expression related project?

Many thanks and best wishes
Andrew