[Yeast] Re: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 3

Cedric via yeast%40net.bio.net (by cedric.desmet from gmail.com)
Fri Feb 6 12:12:41 EST 2009


Hi all,
A related question: are raffinose and galactose fermentable carbon sources?
I read somewhere that they are "poorly fermentable" and when looking at the
lipid profiles, I suspect that they are not fermenting. Is this true, cause
in theory they are sugars and should be fermentable.
Kind regards,
Cedric

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM, <yeast-request from oat.bio.indiana.edu> wrote:

> Send Yeast mailing list submissions to
>        yeast from net.bio.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        yeast-request from net.bio.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        yeast-owner from net.bio.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Yeast digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1 (Daniel Bosch)
>   2. RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2 (Shaoyu Wang)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:01:22 +0100
> From: "Daniel Bosch" <d_bosch from hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Yeast] RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
> To: <yeast from oat.bio.indiana.edu>, <yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID: <BLU110-DS1FF211F56C51903C3CA5C81C00 from phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>        reply-type=original
>
> Hi there,
>
> Baker's yeasts loves glucose and fructose, these are consumed earlier than
> any other carbon source present in the medium. Uptake and degradation of
> galactose (and other respiratory carbon sources) is not functional for as
> long as glucose is available. Therefore, to get the GAL promoter to work
> glucose mustn't be present. That's why yeast are grown on raffinose, but in
> principle you could used cheaper carbon sources (e.g. maltose, ethanol,
> acetate). Glucose fermentation yields more energy per unit of time than
> galactose or raffinose, hence glucose allows the fastest growth rate. In
> addition, during glucose growth a large portion of the genome is
> repressesed
> saving energy, therefore glucose yields a higher OD than other carbon
> sources.
>
> Hope this helps you,
>
> Daniel Bosch
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Andrew Carter" <cartera from cmp.ucsf.edu>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:27 PM
> To: <yeast from oat.bio.indiana.edu>; <yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>
> Subject: [Yeast] RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
>
> > Hi Thomas
> > Glucose represses the Gal promoter whereas Raffinose doesn't.  If you try
> > growing up yeast in YPD (2% glucose) and then add galactose you will get
> > no
> > (in my experience) induction.  If you grow up in YP raffinose and add
> > galactose the promoter will get turned on immediately.
> >
> > It turns out however that you can first grow in glucose and then add
> > galactose.  You just have to make sure that you have used up all your
> > glucose.  I have been playing with this quite a lot recently (in a large
> > fermentor) and it works well.  The key for me was using 2X YP and 1%
> > glucose
> > and waiting until growth plateaus.  Then add in 2% galactose (0.5% and 1%
> > also work) and induction turned on just fine.  I was using induction from
> > a
> > gal promoter inserted in the genome and haven't tried it with a plasmid
> > based system, but my guess is it should work.  The real advantage is that
> > Raffinose gets really expensive if you want to scale up...
> >
> > Not sure why growth is slower in galactose than glucose but I see it alot
> > (final OD is usually lower as well).
> > Best wishes
> > Andrew
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: yeast-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> > [mailto:yeast-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of
> > yeast-request from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:06 AM
> > To: yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
> > Subject: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
> >
> > Send Yeast mailing list submissions to
> > yeast from net.bio.net
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > yeast-request from net.bio.net
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > yeast-owner from net.bio.net
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Yeast digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >   1. raffinose metabolism (Thomas, Arun)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:36:10 +0100
> > From: "Thomas, Arun" <Arun.Thomas from Biologie.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
> > Subject: [Yeast] raffinose metabolism
> > To: <yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>
> > Message-ID:
> >
> > <F69C1DF9630D414E9411B4CB41240ABD0B12E6 from XCH.biologie.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
> >
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > To induce a gene under the GAL promoter from a 2micron plasmid, why is it
> > preferred to grow the cells in raffinose/glucose initially followed by
> > induction with galactose?
> >
> > If cells grow slowly in galactose, why is it so?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Thomas
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Yeast mailing list
> > Yeast from net.bio.net
> > http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> >
> > End of Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
> > ************************************
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Yeast mailing list
> > Yeast from net.bio.net
> > http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 06:09:39 +1100
> From: "Shaoyu Wang" <S.Wang from uws.edu.au>
> Subject: [Yeast] RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2
> To: <yeast from oat.bio.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID:
>        <FB4F123E1A1345488DC47F54B1259236017B65FF from VIOLA.AD.UWS.EDU.AU>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hello, Everyone,
>
> FCY2 gene is an important purine-cytosine permease. However, there two more
> putative purine-cytosine permeases encoded by FCY21 and FCY22. But there is
> lack of information on exact substrates and regulation of their activity
> etc. Only information I get is:  Fcy21p and Fcy22p are very similar to Fcy2p
> but can not substitute its function.
>
> I wonder if anyone have more information on FCY21 and FCY22 and their
> protein product functions. Any pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Shaun
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: yeast-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu on behalf of
> yeast-request from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> Sent: Fri 6/02/2009 4:06 AM
> To: yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
> Subject: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2
>
>
>
> Send Yeast mailing list submissions to
>        yeast from net.bio.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        yeast-request from net.bio.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        yeast-owner from net.bio.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Yeast digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1 (Andrew Carter)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:27:26 -0800
> From: "Andrew Carter" <cartera from cmp.ucsf.edu>
> Subject: [Yeast] RE: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
> To: <yeast from oat.bio.indiana.edu>, <yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID: <000001c986ed$daa298f0$8fe7cad0$@ucsf.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi Thomas
> Glucose represses the Gal promoter whereas Raffinose doesn't.  If you try
> growing up yeast in YPD (2% glucose) and then add galactose you will get no
> (in my experience) induction.  If you grow up in YP raffinose and add
> galactose the promoter will get turned on immediately.
>
> It turns out however that you can first grow in glucose and then add
> galactose.  You just have to make sure that you have used up all your
> glucose.  I have been playing with this quite a lot recently (in a large
> fermentor) and it works well.  The key for me was using 2X YP and 1%
> glucose
> and waiting until growth plateaus.  Then add in 2% galactose (0.5% and 1%
> also work) and induction turned on just fine.  I was using induction from a
> gal promoter inserted in the genome and haven't tried it with a plasmid
> based system, but my guess is it should work.  The real advantage is that
> Raffinose gets really expensive if you want to scale up...
>
> Not sure why growth is slower in galactose than glucose but I see it alot
> (final OD is usually lower as well).
> Best wishes
> Andrew
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: yeast-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> [mailto:yeast-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of
> yeast-request from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:06 AM
> To: yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
> Subject: Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
>
> Send Yeast mailing list submissions to
>        yeast from net.bio.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        yeast-request from net.bio.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        yeast-owner from net.bio.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Yeast digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. raffinose metabolism (Thomas, Arun)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:36:10 +0100
> From: "Thomas, Arun" <Arun.Thomas from Biologie.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
> Subject: [Yeast] raffinose metabolism
> To: <yeast from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>
> Message-ID:
>
> <F69C1DF9630D414E9411B4CB41240ABD0B12E6 from XCH.biologie.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> To induce a gene under the GAL promoter from a 2micron plasmid, why is it
> preferred to grow the cells in raffinose/glucose initially followed by
> induction with galactose?
>
> If cells grow slowly in galactose, why is it so?
>
> Thank you,
> Thomas
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Yeast mailing list
> Yeast from net.bio.net
> http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
>
> End of Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1
> ************************************
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Yeast mailing list
> Yeast from net.bio.net
> http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
>
> End of Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2
> ************************************
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: application/ms-tnef
> Size: 8042 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
> http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/yeast/attachments/20090206/c44167cf/attachment-0001.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Yeast mailing list
> Yeast from net.bio.net
> http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/yeast
>
> End of Yeast Digest, Vol 45, Issue 3
> ************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/yeast/attachments/20090206/e3bfc5f5/attachment-0001.html


More information about the Yeast mailing list