[Yeast] Slightly off topic: are home-baking and work-cell-culture incompatible?

Meg via yeast%40net.bio.net (by multanova from gmail.com)
Fri Nov 20 13:20:21 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

I've got a bit of a quandary and I'd like to hear your input.  My
roommate bakes bread, and I do cell culture at the lab.  I know that
some labs have experienced yeast contamination of their cell lines,
attributed to baking or brewing at home.

Do you have any particular tips, other than stringent good lab
practice, that can really help prevent any contamination?  I can't
prohibit her from baking (nor do I want to), but are there any special
precautions that she/we can take at home?

And from your experience: are there any of you who do bake bread at
home, without problems at work?  (am I worrying overly much?)

Thanks in advance,
Megan Barker