WELCOME and Zebrafish WWW SITES

Dick Vogt vogt at tbone.biol.scarolina.edu
Wed Aug 3 17:37:49 EST 1994

8/3/94 (originally posted 7/21/94)

Welcome to this new newsgroup, intended primarily to be a forum for folks
interested the scientific research of Danio rerio, commonly known to
aquarium enthusiasts as zebrafish or zebra danio.  The establishment of
this newgroup is in part a response to a request by attendies at a Cold
Spring Harbor Symposium last April for increased Internet interaction.

This newsgroup is unmoderated; please use it any way you like; for asking
questions, asking for assistance or for specific reagents (libraries,
clones, antibodies, etc.), posting information regarding job openings or
seekings, posting information regarding events, or in any other manner
that seems appropriate.

Also, for those "outside" the "community" that might have attended the
Cold Spring Harbor community, please use "us" as a resourse for molecular
gentic or cell biology information that might be of interest in a general
fishy context.

I am currently serving as "discussion leader" for this group, along with
Una Smith; the unmoderated nature of the group means that my job is
little more than to help out if I can.  Please feel free to contact me
directly if I can be of any assistance.

TWO ZEBRAFISH WWW SITES:

Also please note that the community has established two WWW sites that
contain considerable information and access to information relevant to
the community.  One site is at the University of Oregon, and provides
access to text of The Zebrafish Book (a techniques mannual) and The
Zebrafish Science Monitor (a periodical of the community), as well as
various growing data bases (mutant stocks, genetic map data, available
antibodies, etc).  The Oregon site can be accessed at:

	http://zfish.uoregon.edu

The second site is currently in my lab at University of South Carolina,
and primarily supplies links to sites I find of use to the zebrafish
community.  More information is available regarding this newsgroup,
including the original proposal and a copy of the announcement that
includes information on how to suscribe to the e-mail version of the
newsgroup.  The South Carolina server can be accessed at:

	http://zebra.scarolina.edu

Plans are to develop image archives and to expand the additional data bases.

We hope you find the newsgroup useful; good luck!

Dick Vogt
Department of Biological Sciences
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC  29208
vogt at biol.scarolina.edu

Richard Vogt (Internet: vogt at biol.scarolina.edu) (803) 777-8998
Department of Biology, University of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208