Transgenesis ..... was (Is anybody out there?)

Dr. S.A.J.R. Aparicio saparici at med.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 11:53:36 EST 1994

OK, just to see if anyone is watching ....

I have heard a number of conflicting statements about transgenesis in Danio
at meetings this summer. I understand that while it is possible to
generate transgenic zebra fish, they are mosaic. If the mosaicism is
bred out by backcrosses, the level of expression of the transgenes falls
off precipitously by the F2 generation. The question is why this should
be so? One explanation was that most promoters used for lacZ expression
so far, have been non-teleost. Another was that the integrated copies
of the transgene are unstable in the zebrafish genome and rapidly
become fragmented.

Does anyone have any data/experience to shed light on this?

Second question .....

A lot has been written about the genetic screen which is now being carried
out in several laboratories. What will be the method(s) of choice for going
between the mutant and finding the gene on the RAPD map (or any other genome
resource). Will it be any quicker than positional cloning strategies in
mammals (which take several years on average)?

Sam Aparicio

Dr Samuel Aparicio
Molecular Genetics Unit
Level 5