teaching zebrafish

VOGEL at ubaclu.unibas.ch VOGEL at ubaclu.unibas.ch
Sun Oct 16 09:04:11 EST 1994

Hi everyone,

as more and more people start working with zebrafish, more and more people
will be confronted with the situation to having to give lab courses for
undergraduates using the fish. The immediate question is: "What can you
do in a course that is not too easy (=boring) nor too difficult
(=frustrating) ?" In our group, we were in that situation this summer, and
everything turned out pretty much, well - o.k.. Since it could be better,
and I feel everyone would appreciate some ideas on that topic, I suggest
that you mail your experiences to me, I collect them and post them
collectively for everyone as soon as I have collected a substantial amount.
Your mail should contain the following information:

- age (academic) and number of students, duration of the course, number of
teaching assistants; number of times this course has been given.

- experiments (short description), did they work?

- amount of preparation time needed

- additional teaching materials developed? (lectures, videos, graphics...)

- anything else you find important

ANY contribution on the topic will be appreciated. Thank you for your
cooperation. Keep those mails coming...

Andreas

Andreas Vogel
Biozentrum der Universitaet