Being Nosey

Graham Corley-Smith corley at sfu.ca
Mon Oct 17 21:04:55 EST 1994

Forwarded with permission of author.
In Message Mon, 17 Oct 94 13:15:18 -0400,
  gerhard at mbcrr.harvard.edu (Gerhard Heinrich) writes:

That would definitely be a devastating decision on Janni's part. And therefore
such a rumor needs to be killed quickly and effectively, or substantiated,
preferrably by a publication from her. Is something like this in the offing?Please spread the news, not the rumor, please.

Hi,
>   At a recent presentation and discussion of zebrafish research that I am
>involved in, I was informed that, to paraphrase:
>
>Christiane Nusslein-Volhard has recently decided to drastically reduce her
>group's zebrafish research and to redirect efforts in the more productive
>area of fly research.  It was stated that she had discovered that all the
>interesting early developmental mutants were maternal effect.  As these are
>difficult to study, the decision to redirect activities using fruit flies
>was purportedly made.
>
>  I am curious if this is true.  I work in an environment where zfish
>research is new and I feel extremely exciting.  Others doubt the value of
>the organism and are quite willing to be persuaded by decisions regarding
>the system that are made by prominent researchers.  As Dr. Nusslein-Volhard
>is definitely a prominent researcher, her decisions are influential.  Thus,
>if anyone is willing to respond to what I will presently call a rumor, and
>let me know what is really going on, I would appreciate it.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>      Graham
                        Graham E. Corley-Smith
                        Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
                        Biological Sciences Department
                        Simon Fraser University
                        Burnaby, B.C.,
                        V5A 1S6