Does light influence speed of development ?

David W. Raible RAIBLE at
Tue Oct 18 11:09:39 EST 1994

In article <3809at$dsd at>, eirik.madsen at (Eirik
Madsen) wrote:

> I am a student working with the development of Zebrafish embryos in
> ELF magnetic field. In some experiments I found that the illuminance (light)
> was three times higher in one group than in the other (520 lux vs. 150 lux).
> Experiments indicates that the embryo -development went faster in
> the group with the highest illuminance.

It's clear that temperature does influence zf development (see a recent
article by Chuck Kimmel in the Zebrafish Science Monitor).  Could it be
that your embryos under higher illumination were just warmer?
David W. Raible
Institute of Neuroscience
University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1254