Does light influence speed of development ?

pvalerio at kean.ucs.mun.ca pvalerio at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Tue Oct 18 23:36:19 EST 1994

In article <3809at$dsd at hermod.uio.no>, eirik.madsen at fys.uio.no (Eirik Madsen) writes:
> I am a student working with the development of Zebrafish embryos in
> ELF magnetic field. In some experiments I found that the illuminance (light)
> was three times higher in one group than in the other (520 lux vs. 150 lux).
> Experiments indicates that the embryo -development went faster in
> the group with the highest illuminance.
>
> Does anyone know if and how the illuminance influence the development
> time for Zebrafish embryo?

Appended are some references on the effect of light on teleost embryos.
Some studies have reported acceleration of development. Hope this helps.

- Paul.

Iglesias, J., G. Rodriguez-Ojea and J.B. Peleteiro. 1991. Effect of Light
  and Temperature on the Development of Turbot Eggs _Scophthalmus_ _maximus_
  L.). ICES C.M. 1991 F:51.

Kwain, W. 1975. Embryonic Development, Early Growth, and Meristic
  Variation in Rainbow Trout (_Salmo_ _gairdneri_) Exposed to
  Combinations of Light Intensity and Temperature. J. Fish. Res.
  Board  Can., 32: 397-402.

MacCrimmon, H.R. and W. Kwain. 1969. Influence of Light on Early
  Development and Meristic Characters in the Rainbow Trout,  _Salmo_
  _gairdneri_ Richardson. Can. J. Zool., 47: 631-637.