Danio vs Brachydanio

Maxwell Palmer maxwell at vt.edu
Wed Aug 16 19:03:17 EST 1995

Dear Pat

I have been working on the rather confused taxonomy of these fish for about
six years and it is confused. The main problem is that Brachydanio was never
actually raised to generic status under the rules. George Meyers said that
he did but this was never accepted by taxonomists except in th4e aquarium
literature (Meyers was a good friend of Innes who was the publisher of
Exotic Aquarium fishes and later became the editor. His belief that
Brachydanio had generic status was based on erroneous data regarding the
nominal genus based on Danio malabaricus, which is niether a Danio or,
Brachydanio.

I have been preparing a revision of this group and if you would be
interested I could send you a chapter on the taxonomy of Danio by next
Friday. I wish you had given more notice.

I would point out that Jayaram, Barman, Brittain and Kottelot do not
recognize Brachydanio as a genus. Eshmeyer lists it as valid citing Hora,
Meyers and Kottelat but the Hora reference is very ambiguous and Kottelat
has since changed his mind.
I would very strongly suggest that you do not base your taxonomy on Axelrod.
Despite his many good qualities his taxonomy is sloppy.

Maxwell R. Palmer
Biology Dept
C/O Dr. B. J. Turner
or E mail < maxwell at vt.edu> or