Fish deaths

Christopher D Kaufman kauf0010 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Tue Feb 14 17:35:11 EST 1995

Dear fellow fishpeople,

We are having a problem with our fish stocks. Over this past weekend,
three tanks had ~50% mortality. The fish exhibited a tendency to float,
and had to exert much energy in order to swim downwards. This progressed
to them swelling up, their eyes bulging out and eventually their
abdomens bursting open and the fish perishing. We think this may be from
uncontrolled swelling of the swim bladder, or possibly a blockage of their
intestines. We also think these events occur (it has happened before)
following a radical weather change. This time it followed a sudden plunge
in temperature (30's to several degrees below zero). This may be affecting
the local water supply in a way that can't be rectified by our filtration
system, ie: pH, osmolality (from road salt washing into the reservoir?).
We're contacting our local water supplier to ask them about these
possibilities.

So my questions are: has anyone else witnessed these symptoms in their fish
stock? Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to
treat/prevent it? Does anyone know how pressure is regulated in the
zebrafish swimbladder, like ion or solute concentration?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Kaufman                     |  This space for rent |
kaufman at molbio.cbs.umn.edu        | Inquire within       |
University of Minnesota           ------------------------
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and Genetics