early embryonic death

Geoffrey Doerre gdoerre at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 20 17:39:21 EST 1995

BREITBART at PHENIX.TCH.HARVARD.EDU wrote:
: From time to time, we find a very high (up to 50%) death rate from wild-type
: crosses in the first few hours after laying.  We are told that this may res
: from lack of (i.e. incomplete) fertilization.  Two questions:
: 	1.  Is there a method to determine definitively that fertilization is
: the problem?

well, sometimes we see less fertilized embryos than normally; generally
it's obvious when the embryos (just oocytes, i suppose) remain at the one
cell stage til they die a few hours later.  if your males are old and
can't get around as much anymore, this may be a problem

: 	2.  What are other likely causes of such high embryo attrition?

otherwise:  how old are these fish?  after about two years, the embryos
we get from certain females deteriorate rapidly, although they appear to
be dividing fine for a few hours.  don't have any explanation other than
old age, though.

good luck,