pH problems

Keith Cheng kcheng at cor-mail.biochem.hmc.psu.edu
Tue Jun 6 18:31:29 EST 1995

We are having some problems with alkalinity of our water for which I hope
someone has an economical, practical solution.  Starting with
deionized water is not very practical for us, so we need to try to use
tap water, which we currently charcoal filter.  Over the past year, the
pH of our medium hard water (about 9 degrees hardness) coming out of the
tap has been about 7.5, which climbs after recirculation, UV filtration
and aeration to about 8.0 (perhaps due to chasing off CO2?), despite
10%/day water changes.  Suggestions entertained so far include bubbling
CO2 gas and adding buffer (such as Seachem's "Neutralizing buffer").  Any
other ideas out there?

Thanks.

Keith C. Cheng
Division of Experimental Pathology