RNA isolation

Bruce Appel appel at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Fri Jun 9 15:43:54 EST 1995

In article <9506081853.AA57431 at oa.ptloma.edu>, fulcheBI at OA.PTLOMA.EDU wrote:

> Hello,
> We are interested in isolating RNA from various stage embryo's, especially
> early and mid-blastula. Our question is, when the zebrafish book talks
> about embryos, does it mean chorion intact, or dissected ebryo (free of
> yolk) etc...  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks...
> Kerry Fulcher
> fulcheBI at oa.ptloma.edu

Your favorite RNA isolation procedure should work just fine on whole
embryos with their chorions still intact. I typically collect embryos into
a polypro tube, take off as much excess liquid as I can, snap freeze them
and store them at -80 until I'm  ready for the RNA isolation, which I do
using the guanidinium thiocyanate-acid phenol procedure of Chomczynski and
Sacchi, Anal. Bioch. (1987) 162, 156-159.

Good luck.

Bruce Appel
University of Oregon
appel at uoneuro.uoregon.edu