pH problems

VALLAN at ubeclu.unibe.ch VALLAN at ubeclu.unibe.ch
Fri Jun 9 11:02:23 EST 1995

In article <3r2ogh$11an at hearst.cac.psu.edu>, kcheng at cor-mail.biochem.hmc.psu.edu (Keith Cheng) writes:
>We are having some problems with alkalinity of our water for which I hope
>someone has an economical, practical solution.  Starting with
>deionized water is not very practical for us, so we need to try to use
>tap water, which we currently charcoal filter.  Over the past year, the
>pH of our medium hard water (about 9 degrees hardness) coming out of the
>tap has been about 7.5, which climbs after recirculation, UV filtration
>and aeration to about 8.0 (perhaps due to chasing off CO2?), despite
>10%/day water changes.  Suggestions entertained so far include bubbling
>CO2 gas and adding buffer (such as Seachem's "Neutralizing buffer").  Any
>other ideas out there?

As far as I know the best way to lower th pH in aquaria is to put into the
filter some peat. (I hope this is the right word, in german it is Torf). Note
that not every peat is useful. If you suspend some paet in little water the pH
of the water should be less than 4, otherwise do not use the peat.

An other very chaep method to lower the pH is to put some posphoric acid into
it. Dissolve 0.1 g in 10 liters and use this to adjust the pH of your water. It
is though recommended to let the water stand for two to three days before
giving it to the fish, so this might not be a very practical solution.

On the other hand I think that pH values from 7 to 8 are OK for keeping and
breeding fish.

I hope this helps

Claudio

PS: I'm still loking for a postdoctoral position in zebrafish developmental
biology. For more informations look at the Zebrafish Information Server under
Jobs being sought or E-mail me directly.