BrdU

bourrat bourrat at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Nov 14 10:58:13 EST 1995

I have no experience with zebrafish BrdU labelling, but with medaka, and
it should not be very different. From hatching onwards (i.e., untill full
adult stages), bathing fishes in BrdU solution (0.1 g/100 ml of fish tank
water) is perfectly OK. 3-5 hours in such a solution leads to a strong
labelling in almost all tissues of medaka fry. You can also have the
fishes survive, even several months, with no problem.
Marking cells in embryos is much more difficult: I cannot get a good
labelling by bathing eggs (even overnight) in the BrdU solution. It may
be that the medaka chorion is specially hard, and it's difficult to
dechorionate medaka eggs. It should not be so difficult with zebrafish?
As for the clearance of BrdU in fishes: you can find some recent data in:
Zupanc & Horschke (1995) Proliferation zones in the brain of adult
gymnotiform fish: a quantitative mapping study. J. Comp. Neurol. 353:
213-233. They say that BrdU is available for 2-4 hours after
intraperitoneal injection in adult fish. Good luck!