swimbladders and nitrite

Arbeitsgruppe Neumann Agneuma at biolan.uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 29 08:28:00 EST 1995

I am currently working on my master´s degree at the U. of Cologne.
My thesis is the effects of nitrite (NO2) on egg and larval development,
whereby most of the work is on zebrafish.  One effect seems to be that
the swimbladders don´t develop properly.  However, I can´t seem to find
any information on how the swimbladder is initially filled (by air-
swallowing, conc. through blood, etc.).  If anybody has any information
on the subject, I would be very grateful.  Also, should anybody have any
data on the chronic or acute toxicity of nitrite on adult zebrafish,
please let me know.
Many thanks,
			Fred Bartlett