breeding of Zebrafish larvae

Notox Safety & Environmental Research B.V. notox at knoware.nl
Wed Mar 20 10:42:10 EST 1996

Hello Everyboy,

My name is Rinus Bogers, and I am study director Ecotoxicology at a
contractlaboratory in the Netherlands, NOTOX B.V.

We have observed during the breeding of Zebrafish larvae that in one baby-
tube the larvae develope rather differently, i.e. already some days after
active feeding a rather large variation between the lengths of larvae is
observed. After 10-15 days following hatching this variation becomes even
greater, with some larvae still hardly grown, while others had grown
substantially. We have observed this feature in various groups which
received different types and rations of feeding during the first 10 days
after hatching. We fed the early larval stages with either yolk from duck-
eggs or a commercial food for fish larvae (Interpet). The rations included
a range from limited to an excess of feeding. We further found that this
variation between growth and development of the larvae was higher in the
tubes which received an excess of feeding.

Has anyone the same experience with the breeding of Zebrafish larvae or is
there any literature that describes this feature? Does anyone know if this
difference in development and growth of the early larval stages is mainly
caused by the type or ration of feeding, or could this feature be induced
by genetical variation?

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Greetings from Rinus Bogers.

 E-mail: notox at knoware.nl (Notox Safety & Environmental Research B.V.)
 Notox Safety & Environmental Research B.V.
 P.O. Box 3476, 5203 DL 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
 Tel: +31-736419575, Fax: +31-736418543