Anatomy book on zfish?

Paul Z. Myers myers at
Thu May 30 07:36:04 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.960529143726.11394B-100000 at>,
ylin at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU (Yiing Lin) wrote:

>I was wondering if there is (are) any detailed, annotated anatomy texts
>on zebrafish out there?
No, but the next best thing is the paper by Kimmel et al. that was published
in Developmental Dynamics a while back -- I don't have the reference handy,
but it'll be listed at the UO Zebrafish web page, <>.
Actually, all the images from that paper are also available there.

>I was wondering if anyone has worked out any protocol for anesthetizing
>zfish fry and bringing them "back"?  I've been trying to take pictures of
>fry which are live-stained and need long (1-2 minute) exposures, but they
>move around much too much.

We use a few drops of 0.2% mesab (also called MS222, Finquel, 3-aminobenzoic
acid ethyl ester, available from Sigma (catalog #a-5040)). Again, the protocol
can be found on the zebrafish web page or the zebrafish book (you _should_
get the zebrafish book from the University of Oregon, it is indispensable!).

Paul Z. Myers                   myers at
Dept. of Biology                myers at
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122          (215) 204-8848