Wanted: post-doc position

LEEJ LEEJ at NOVELL2.BHAM.AC.UK
Fri Nov 8 13:22:55 EST 1996

Dear Zebrafish worker,

      I am pleased to introduce myself to you as a research fellow at the School of
Biochemistry, University of Birmingham in United Kingdom. I have very much
interested to join the zebrafish lab. So I just am asking you whether you have
a vacant post-doc position. Now I give you my brief research background for
evaluation.

     In Sept. 1986-Aug. 1988, I engaged in the project of in vivo genotoxicity
using fish cell line with the title research, "Growth kinetics and cytogenetic
characteristics of fish cell line ULF(Umbra limi fin)-23HU" as a theme of a
master course. At that time, I learned the basic tools of cytogenetics which
enable me to assess the environmental pollutants or carcinogens (MNNG, MNU,
4-NQO, cisplatin, aflatoxin B1). At the same time, I had experience of fish
histopathology examining tumour tissues after we treated in the some chemicals
(MNNG, MNU, DENA, BHA) in the experimental fish Rivulus marmoratus.

    In Mar. 1990-Aug. 1994, I was entitled as a Ph.D. student at Hanyang
University in Seoul, Korea. For the initial 1 and half years of my Ph.D. training,
I used primary cultures of the hermaphroditic fish, Rivulus marmoratus for
eventually establishing a cell line which was successful. In Sept. 1991, I relocated
to Lab of Molecular Virology of Korea Advanced Institute of Science and
Technology (KAIST) for my Ph.D. theme, "Structure of the ras oncogenes in
the hermaphroditic fish Rivulus marmoratus". There, I learned molecular
techniques such as recombinant DNA technology, construction of genomic DNA
library, DNA sequencing, PCR, Southern and Northen blots. Finally I cloned
three different ras genes, such as Rivulus Ha-ras, Ki-ras and R-ras genes that are
useful as a biomarker for examining why and how the tumours were induced in
Rivulus marmoratus after treatment with some carcinogens.

     In Oct. 1994, I joined Dr. Cheng's lab (Dept of Pathology, College of Medicine,
Pennsylvania State University) as a post-doctoral fellow until Nov. 1995 with
the topic of "Screening of genomic instability mutants of zebrafish (Danio rerio)".
There, I had gained much experience in the husbandry of zebrafish, cloning of
some genes using genomic and cDNA library screening, DNA sequencing and
recombinant DNA technology.

      In Dec. 1995, I joined the University of Birmingham (Supervisor; Dr. J. K.
Chipman) to initiate my work on the topic of "Molecular biomarkers to assess
the impact of genotoxic agents in the aquatic environment". My work in
Birmingham, supported by previous expertise gained, places me in an excellent
position to invest this background work into a project of great environmental
importance. I have, within a year completed the cloning of a ras oncogene from
flounder fish and have now almost completed the work necessary to clone and
sequence the p53 tumour suppressor gene. I also am developing a genomic DNA
library to assist in cloning and sequencing of other important genes.
Our collaborator, Dr. A. Kohler from Germany, provides neoplastic liver
from fish sampled from the North sea. I isolate DNA from these tissues
(compared to normal hepatic tissue) and analyze them for specific mutational
changes in the p53 tumor supressor gene and ras oncogenes. The reason for
choosing p53 as the gene for monitoring is that mutations in specific changes
known in humans. Nearly all mutations recognized in p53 are within a 600
base pair region of the gene product (exon 5-8). These fragments of
mutated exons will then be sequenced to give specific information on the base
changes present in the tumour DNA.

       Now I am considering to relocate to a well-known zebrafish
lab to continue my main expertise for fish biology. So, please let me know
if you would like to consider me as one of your post-doc candidates.
I am looking forward to seeing your reply as soon as possible. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Jae-Seong Lee

Personnel information
Name: Jae-Seong Lee