journals needed

Pat Edwards edwards at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:02:00 EST 1997

This message is being forwarded on behalf of Kathy Packard, Chair of
SICB's Publications Committee (Society for Integrative and Comparative
Biology)

From:          SICB <SICB at sba.com>
Subject:       FW: A Request for Help Date:          Thu, 21 Aug 1997
12:20:50 -0500 Reply-to:      SICB <SICB at sba.com>

As some of you may have heard, the campus of Colorado State
University was damaged in a flash flood on 28 July.  CSU's Library was
especially hard hit. The library is nearing the end of a major
expansion, and a large proportion of its holdings was housed in the
basement in anticipation of the completion of the expansion later this
year.  The basement suffered extensive damage, and the Library lost
ALL of its bound journals, some 18,000 subscriptions, plus a large
number of books.  An effort is underway to rebuild the collection, but
it will be years before this task is completed. Library staff tell me
that to their knowledge no other major research library has ever
suffered such losses.

I am writing to ask for your help.  If any of you is nearing
retirement and is interested in donating back issues of journals or
scholarly books to a worthy cause, I'd like to ask that you consider
making the donation to CSU's library.  If you know of colleagues who
might be in a similar situation, I would appreciate it if you could
bring this message to their attention.

If you have suggestions on how those of us at CSU might assist in the
effort to rebuild our library's collection, please send them along. I
do not need to point out what it will mean to CSU faculty and students
to be without back issues of journals for some undefined (and
extended) period of time. If you have questions, please contact me.
If I cannot help, I will put you in touch with those who can.

Many thanks. Kathy Packard
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
(Mary J.) Kathy Packard
Department of Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1878
FAX:  970-491-0649
PHONE: 970-491-7182
kpackard at lamar.colostate.edu

Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology
401 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL  60611-4267
800/955-1236 or 312/527-6697
312/245-1085 (fax)