zebrafish

Julissa Cruz jcruz at ic.sunysb.edu
Mon Apr 20 16:12:53 EST 1998

To whom it may concern:

We are three students at the State University of New York at Stony
Brook and we were trying to do invitro fertilization.  We are having
trouble getting sperm from the fish, using a forceps, we tried just
squeezing like we had done with the females, and we got very little
sperm. We were wondering what would be the best way to get the sperm?
The first time we squeezed the females we got eggs but this time when we
did it all we got was some red stuff (which we think was feces).  We
looked under the microscope and saw sperm, and we wanted to freeze them,
but we have no access to liquid nitrogen, so we were wondering if we
could just store them in the refrigerator at 4 degrees celsius, or would
the freezer at -20?  If you have any tips we'd greatly appreciate them.
Thank you very
much.

      Sincerely,
      Julissa Cruz