conference

Per Ahlberg P.Ahlberg at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 10:06:46 EST 1998

MAJOR EVENTS IN EARLY VERTEBRATE EVOLUTION - PHYLOGENY,
PALAEONTOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT

Natural History Museum, London, England, 8-9 APRIL 1999.
Convenor: Dr P.E. Ahlberg

Our understanding of the origin and early evolution of vertebrates is
advancing rapidly, as much due to developmental genetics as to new
fossil discoveries and new phylogenetic analyses. This conference,
sponsored by the Systematics Association and the Natural History Museum,
will bring together leading workers from  developmental biology,
palaeontology and comparative anatomy to address the major questions in
this field.

The story of vertebrate origins is the story of how the various
vertebrate body plans, and the developmental cascades which generate
them, were assembled by evolution. General problems include
recognising homologous structures and gene expression patterns
between groups and understanding the steps by which major
morphological transformations were accomplished. Specific topics to
be addressed by the meeting include the origin, patterning and early
evolution of jaws, appendages and mineralised tissues.

The meeting will be held at London's Natural History Museum, one of
the foremost centres in the world for systematic and evolutionary
research. All speakers are invited, but there will be an OPEN POSTER
SESSION allowing non-speaking delegates to present their work.

PROVISIONAL SPEAKER LIST:

P.E. Ahlberg, W.E. Bemis, J.A. Clack, M.I. Coates, P. Donoghue, P.L.
Forey, H.E. Gee, J. Hanken, J.R. Hinchliffe, R. Hitchin, N. Holder, L.Z.
Holland, P.W.H. Holland, P. Janvier, R.P.S. Jefferies, J. Joss, J.
Mallatt, J.G. Maisey, B.D. Metscher, R.G. Northcutt, M.A. Purnell, I.J.
Sansom, H.-P. Schultze, M.M. Smith, M.P. Smith.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION FILL IN THE FORM AND RETURN TO:

Dr Per Ahlberg
Department of Palaeontology
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London SW7 5BD, UK
e-mail: pea at nhm.ac.uk
fax: (UK) 171 938 9277

[ ]  Yes, I am interested in the meeting. Please send me the second
circular.

[ ]  I would like to present a poster.
     Provisional