reproduction

Barry bmuijs at bio.vu.nl
Thu Dec 17 11:10:36 EST 1998

Hello,

I am going to do a research about the effects of parathion and
trichlorbenzene on the reproduction of the zebrafish. I am still in
the preparing phase of the research. I am wondering if I should use
twice as much male fish as female fish or just the same amount of fish
in each aquarium? In the literature I have found several articles
where they used a 1:2 ratio and some where they used a 1:1 ratio. Also
there was one article where they investigated if this ratio had
influence on the egg production and there they found that there was no
difference in it. Still the most researchers use a 1:2 ratio. What is
the best ratio I can use and is it possible to put 20 to 30 fishes in
an 10 litre aquarium or should I use a bigger one ?

Kindly waiting for your reply,

Yours sincerely,

M. van Langen
vlangen at bio.vu.nl