Are plants making fish happy???

Teresa Nicolson teresa.nicolson at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Mar 25 12:34:27 EST 1998

Dear Eva and Thomas,

A sign that the fish are "happy", i.e. that they are well fed, the water

conditions are good, etc. is if they lay eggs (I would cite the
zebrafish
book by M.W.).  If fish are stressed or "unhappy" then there is no way
that they would mate and lay eggs, so I think this is proof enough that
they do not deserve anyone's pity. Also, if fish are kept in large
groups then there is no reason to hide, i.e. they will not kill each
other. Otherwise we provide single pairs with green plastic grass.

-Teresa Nicolson