and more.....

Dallas E. Weaver, Ph.D. deweaver at gte.net
Fri Mar 27 13:54:22 EST 1998

Having an idiot come into my facility and tell me that I need plants for

zebras would drive me up the wall.  Reading things like this make me
glad that I work in the real world.

I produce several species of fish (about 25 million fish per year) and
some of the larva benefit from habitat and tank structure.  With fish
such as bloodfin tetras, tiger barbs, lemon tetras, black neons and some
other fish, I find structure improves larval survival and growth rate.
However, zebra danios and white clouds have larva that avoid structure
and each other (which is why the larva don't seem to do well above about
100/liter densities).  The same goes for the adults.  They will respond
to direct sunlight my moving into the shade (whether the shade is above
or in the water) which could account for observations in the wild.

Since I sell about 50,000 zebras a week that are used to feed other
fish,
the zebras response is mid water speed and moving into deep water not
hiding near a surface or structure (the response of a guppy).   We are
dealing with an open water animal.

One responder seemed to indicate that wild zebras are hard to spawn
without plants, etc.  I didn't find any problem spawning wild stock
which I then crossed with my domestic strains.  The only problem with
wild stock is cleaning up the diseases.

My recommendation would be to publish the name and e-mail address of the
vet who started this and spread it to the fish health people and the
aquaculture community.  He will become the symbol of the dominance of
ignorance over understanding.

Dallas E. Weaver, Ph.D.                     Scientific Hatcheries
deweaver at gte.net                            5542 Engineer Dr.
714-890-0138                                Huntington Beach, CA
Fax 714-890-3778                                      92649