tenure track position

S.H. Devoto sdevoto at wesleyan.edu
Fri Oct 9 10:07:41 EST 1998

Dear zebrafish colleagues:

We are conducting a search to fill a tenure track position in the
area of evolution and development.  I would like to encourage anybody
whose work links both fields to apply, Wesleyan has an excellent and
expandable zebrafish facility.  The starting date could be flexible.
Please contact me if there are any questions.  The ad below appeared
in the 25 September issue of Science.

Steve Devoto

EVOLUTIONARY DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGIST
WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY

A tenure-track faculty position in Evolutionary Developmental Biology
is available at the ASSISTANT PROFESSOR level in the Biology
Department at Wesleyan University.  We are especially interested in
candidates whose research addresses issues in development that are of
fundamental importance for evolutionary biology, including but not
limited to:  the developmental mechanisms underlying the origin and
diversification of body plans, recruitment of existing regulatory
pathways into novel developmental systems, and evaluation of
homologies across major taxa. The appointee is expected to complement
existing departmental strengths in evolution, development, genetics,
and/or neurobiology.

Candidates should have a Ph.D. and post-doctoral experience.  The
successful applicant will be expected to set up an independent
research program and to participate in the departmental Ph.D. program.
Teaching will be at the undergraduate and graduate levels  in the
areas of development and evolution, including a course such as
Macroevolution or Phylogenetic Diversity.  Wesleyan's Biology
Department faculty is research-oriented and successfully attracts
outside funding, and the Department is housed in well-equipped
laboratories.  Please send us your curriculum vitae and a concise
statement of future research plans, and have three letters of
recommendation sent to:

Evolutionary Developmental Biology Search Committee, Department of
Biology, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT  06459-0170.  Review of
applications will begin November 10, 1998.  Website:
http://www.wesleyan.edu/bio/.  Wesleyan is proud of its record of
commitment to diversity in the student body, faculty, and staff, and
encourages applications from women and persons of color.  Wesleyan
University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.