applying for postdoc in zebrafish

Xinhong DONG dong_xinhong at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:08:12 EST 1998

Dear Sirs/Madams:

I am pleased to apply a post-doc. position in zebrafish research.

Now, I am a post-doctoral fellow in Institute of Oceanology of Chinese
Academy of Sciences. I have done some work on zebrafish cytogenetics and
molecular genetics. I am very much interested at zebrafish research. I
hope that I could keep up my future research career on this species.

I have done lots of works about fish cell and molecular genetics. All
these include:
(1)  Zebrafish cell and molecular biology: Zebrafish, including two
species of the genus Brachydanio, B.frankei and B. rerio, is used as an
experimental model in our laboratory. Inducing gynogenesis and ploidy
manipulation were used to study this genus. Gynogenetic diploid and
triploid zebrafish, diploid and triploid hybrids between B.frankei and
B.rerio have been induced and studied. A research project, establishing
a homozygous transgenic(GFP) zebrafish pure line has been developed
well. With the methods of inducing gynogenesis, sex reverse and nuclear
transplantation, we have developed several interesting lines and some
vectors for high-level expression of cloned gene GFP in prokaryotic and
eukaryotic cells.
(2) Fish molecular population genetics: That is the establishment of
molecular genetic markers and the microevolution in different strains of
carp. With the techniques of mitochondrial DNA RFLPs, isozyme and
nuclear DNA RAPD, the genetic population of 5 strains of carp, were
studied, including 20 kinds of endonucleases being used to the analysis
of mtDNA and 40 kinds of 10mer random primer being used to the RAPD
analysis. At the same time, a pair of synthesized primers, were used to
amplify the 16s rRNA gene.
(3) Cellular and molecular mechanisms of gynogenetic fish: The diploid
and triploid hybrids between carp and crucian carp were induced. The
sexual reproduction of the diploid hybrid was observed. Males with
sterility, and female with reduced fertility were studied. The
cytogenetic and biochemistry genetic proofs proved that diploid eggs,
which were produced by diploid hybrid female, were due to the first
meiosis abortion. The triploid hybrid was induced, by diploid hybrid's
backcrossing with carp. This inducing pathway is named as genome
addition. Male triploid hybrid is sterile and female is reduced
fertility. A hypothesis of two control systems in the gametogenesis is
advanced. The facts, which some female triploid hybrid with natural
gynogenetic reproduction, were proved with means of cytogenetic and
molecular genetic methods. The results give a direct proof that
unisexual fishes with clonal reproduction in nature are hybrid origins.
The study on the early fertilization process of first generation of
triploid hybrid showed that seldom occurring polyspermic fertilization
belonged to pathological polyspermic fertilization instead of
physiological polyspermic fertilization. The following generations of
triploid hybrid, with monospermic fertilization,  did not fuse with
sperm nucleus with unisexual reproduction. A new pathway to induce
gynogenetic fish was advanced. That is inducing gynogenetic fishes with
interspecific hybrids.

In addition, I have mastered many techniques about cellular and
molecular biology including cell culture, tissue section, chromosome
banding, laser scanning cofocal imaging system, DNA sequencing, physical
mapping, gel electrophoresis, PCR, RAPD, genomic mapping, DNA
fingerprinting, isozyme techniques, molecular hybridization,
construction of vectors, gene cloning, SEM, TEM and so on.

Sincerely yours,

Xinhong DONG, Ph.D.
Experimental Marine Biology Laboratory
Institute of Oceanology
The Chinese Academy of Sciences
7 Nanhai Road, Qingdao, 266071
China
e-mail: dong_xinhong at hotmail.com
Fax: 86-532-2879235
Tel.:86-532-2879062-5205

Enclosures

CURRICULUM VITAE

NAME: Dong Xinhong
BORN: July 28,1969
SEX: Male
NATIONALTY: China
ADDRESS: Experimental Marine Biology Laboratory
Institute of Oceanology
The Chinese Acadeny of Sciences
7 Nanhai Road, Qingdao 266071
P. R. China.
PERMANENT ADDRESS: Dr. Xinhong DONG c/o Mr. Dong Xinhua,The Library,
Hua-Zhong Agricultural University, Shizishan, Wuhan, Hubei  430070,
P.R.China
FAX: 86-532-2879235
TEL.: 86-532-2879062-5205
E-mail: dong_xinhong at hotmail.com

EDUCATION
 1988,7-1992,7 	Department of Biology, Wuhan University; B.S. degree,
major in Microbiology and Immunology.
 1992,9-1997,7	Department of Fish Genetics and Breeding, Institute of
Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Ph.D. degree, major in Fish
Molecular and Cell Genetics.

EXPERIENCE
 1990,2-1990,7  research assistant of professor Zhang chufu(the
department of biochemistry, the school of life science, Wuhan Univ.),my
research work included purification of phytic acid  with sephadex
del-filtration and chromatographic analysis, metaolic transformation of
phytic acid.
 1992,2-1992,7 	research assistant of both professor Wei Yangbao(the
department of microbiology and immunology, the school life science,
Wuhan Univ.), and professor Cao junwei(the department of microbiology
and immunology, the school of life science, Wuhan Univ.), my research
work included some enzymatic properties of some new species of the
family Bacillus.
 1992,7-now    a member of Chinese Society of Biochemistry & Molecular
Biology
 1992,7-1997,7  Ph.D. student of Prof. Wu Chingjiang(the department of
genetics, the Chinese academy of Sciences).
 1992,4-1994,7  focusing on the study of the cellular and molecular
mechanisms of gametogenesis, chromosome behavior at meiosis,
fertilization and development in both a diploid gynogenetic hybrid and
an triploid gynogenetic hybrid between carp and crucian carp.
 1994,8-1995,7  establishment of a homozygous transgenic zebrafish pure
line(clone).
 1995,8-1996,7  analyzing genetic polymorphism in a population of
Cyprinus carpio in China, with the methods of analyzing RAPD, mtDNA
RFLP, sequencing, AFLP and DNA fingerprinting.
 1996,7-1997,6	seeking genetic marker in diploid and triploid
gynogenetic hybrid with the method of DNA fingerprinting.
 1997,8-now    a post-doctor of the Institute of Oceanology, Chinese
Academy of Sciences, my research area on: (1) molecular genetic marker
and microevolution in natural population of marine animals; (2)
molecualr developmental biology of marine animals; (3) transgenic marine
animal.

RESEARCH INTERESTS
zebrafish molecular genetics.

PUBLICATION

1.Li, R., Zhang, W., Dong, X., and Zhang, C.,1990. The studies on the
biochemical characteristics of phytic acid. Journal of Wuhan
University(Natural Science Edition), 4: 116-122.
2.Wang, Y., Dong, X., Cao, J., Wei, Y., and Chen, S.,1992  The studies
on characteristics of eight strains of alkalophilic Bacteria Bacillus
and their alkaline pectinases. Journal of Wuhan University(Natural
Science Edition), 4: 97-105.
3.Dong, X., and Wu, C.,1994. Comparative studies on the micropylar
apparatus in four freshwater fishes with scanning electron microscope.
Annual Report of FEBL: 103-107.
4.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu C.,1994. The fine structure of spermatozoa in
two kinds of porgy fishes. Annual Report of FEBL: 109-114.
5.Dong, X., Ye,Y., and Wu, C.,1995. Scanning electron microscopic
observations on initial stages of sperm penetration into the egg of an
artificial multiple triploid carp. Annual Report of FEBL:45-51.
6.Ye, Y., Dong, X., Wu, C., and Hu, J.,1995. Initial studies on the
mechanism of activity of sperm in yellowfin porgy. Journal of Fishery
Sciences of China,2(5):61-64.
7.Tong, J., Dong, X., and Wu C.,1997. Induced triploid and gynogenesis
in zebrafish. Acta Zoologica Sinica,43(3):264-269.
8.Ye, Y., Wu,C., and Dong, X.,1997. The studies on the reproductive
biology of Caryfish. Reservoir Fisheries, 5:9-11.
9.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu, C.,1998. Spermiogenesis in the
yellowfin(Sparus latus Houttuyn), with emphasis on the associated
mitochondrion. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology,
16(2):144-148.
10.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu,C.,1998. Cytological basis of polyspermic
fertilization in artificial multiple triploid carp. Developmental and
Reproductive Biology,7(1):41-47.
11.Ye, Y., Dong, X., and Wu,C.,1998. The genetic proof on artificial
triploid hybrid with natural gynogenesis. Acta Hydrobiologica Sinica,
22(2):119-122.
12.Dong, X., and Xiang, J.,1998. The establishment and conservation of
the germplasm bank of the marine animals. In: Marine Biotechnology
(Tseng, C.K., et al., eds), Shandong Science and Technology Press,
pp.331-337.
13.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu,C.,1998. Sexually differentiated mechanisms
of sterility in male artificial multiple triploid hybrid. Acta
Hydrobiologica Sinica( final revision with 8 pages will be issued in Vol
22, No.4.)
14.Dong, X., and Wu,C.,1998. The influence of the different gene dosage
on the micropyle. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology ( final
revision with 7 pages will be issued in Vol.16, No.4.).
15.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu, C.,1998. Synaptonemal complex analysis of
spermatocytes in the diploid and triploid hybrids of carp and crucian
carp. Acta Zoologica Sinica, (final revision with 5 pages will be issued
in Vol. 44, No.3.)
16.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu, C.,1998. The difference of fertility
between male and female occurring in diploid and triploid hybrids.
Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica( final revision with 8 pages will be
issued in Vol.29, No.6.)
17.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu,C. The study on the maturation division in
the oogenic process of the triploid hybrids. Acta Biologiae
Experimentalis Sinica(accepted).
18.Dong, X., Ye, Y., and Wu, C. The proof on the unreduced diploid eggs
produced by the diploid hybrid between carp and crucian carp.
Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica(accepted).
19.Dong, X., Zhang,H., and Wu,C. Detection of genetic variation in a
populations of Cyprinus carpio Linnaeus using RAPD marker.
Hereditas(Beijing)(accepted).
20.Dong, X., Zhang, H., and Wu, C. Mitochondrial DNA variation in carp,
Cyprinus carpio L. Acta Genetica Sinica(accepted).
21.Dong, X., and Xiang, J. Sex differentiation in hermaphroditic Bay
scallop, Argopecten irradians.(submitted to Acta Oceanologica Sinica).
22.Dong, X., and Wu, C. The advancement on the studies of fish
gynogenesis.(submitted to Zoological Research).