need advice on animal regulations

Christine A. Byrd, Ph.D. christine.byrd at
Fri Aug 13 14:47:26 EST 1999

Dear Colleagues,
I have just moved my lab into a new research building, and the
university has informed me that no vertebrate animals can be
housed in the
laboratory, including my zebrafish.  I anticipated keeping the main
in the animal facility, but I need to have some fish housed in the lab
(before and after survival surgeries on adults, for example).  The
administrators maintain that in order to get the facility approved by
AALAC ALL vertebrates must be kept in the central animal facility, with NO

I would appreciate hearing from any of you at universities with AALAC
approval who house your fish in your lab (or in a satellite animal
facility apart from the mammals) either all the time or during procedures.
 Perhaps if I present them with a list of universities that allow this,
then they will consider my request.  Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thank you,
Christine A. Byrd, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Western Michigan University