breeding succes

paul paul.rowntree at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 14 09:54:31 EST 1999

I am not a proffessional but breed zebras and several other brachydanio
species as a hobby, however generally I have experienced good fertility and
hatching rates, most fish live to adulthood even though I only used dried
fry food

The fish always seem to grow at different rates, this isn't a problem unles
some get big enough to eat the others!

try the following

1)    Several females to one male

2)    Cover the bottom of the breeding tank with marbles and have no
       other ornaments, except perhaps some plant shelter for the female.
The non sticking eggs will fall safely through

I am now breeding my danios without removing them from the community tank,
they spawn on the gravel and I have 2 interpet power filters. I basically
empty the filter every day of water and usually find several fry among the
waste which I remove to a fry tank with a pipette. The main advantage of
this is no disturbance to the adults who have a remarkable ability to get
the hump and refuse to breed if moved!

news:7jpahv$md7 at net.bio.net...