stocks?

Richard Broughton rbroughton at ou.edu
Mon Jun 14 09:56:33 EST 1999

Hello: I am planning to sequence some zebrafish mitochondrial genes as
part of a systematics project.  I see there exist numerous strains.  I
just need something that is representative of the species, i.e.
"wildtype".  Do you think there is a risk in obtaining fish from a pet
store - that they could be genetically atypical?  Or, would it be
preferable to obtain a defined strain from a stock center?

Thanks,

Richard E. Broughton, Ph.D.
Department of Zoology
University of Oklahoma