IACUC approval

Greg Conway gconway at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 18 10:08:15 EST 1999

Dear Zebrafish Researchers:

 I work on zebrafish embryos less than three days post-fertilization
and am trying to get IACUC approval to use zebrafish at my
institution.  My committee has placed my approval on hold till I
can: "Document the statement that no pain and distress is
experienced in the embryos."  I will state that embryos young
enough not to have neurons can not experience pain, however,
what documentation/references/arguments would be useful to
counter their comment that say 24, 48, or 72 hour embryos
experience pain?  Has anyone else in the zf community
encountered similar comments from their IACUC committees?
Your suggestions and even comments regarding this question from
my IACUC committee will be instrumental in getting approval to
use zebrafish embryos at my institution.  If any of you are
veterinarians or members of IACUC committees, your comments
are especially powerful with my IACUC committee.

I would like to get as many responses as possible.  Please email
your suggestions or comments regarding this IACUC concern to:

 gconway at mail.arc.nasa.gov

Please do not send responses to Pat Edwards.
Thank you all for your help in this matter!!!  I am very greatful.

  Sincerely,
  Greg Conway
  NASA Ames Research Center
  Moffett Field, CA 94035

Greg Conway, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist
NASA Ames Research Center, Mail Stop 239-11
Moffett Field, CA 94035