Zebrafish reproductive anatomy

John Knowles j.f.knowles at clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 17:12:28 EST 1999

I'm carrying out some work comparing effects of low dose rate
alpha and gamma radiation on reproductive performance of
zebrafish.  There's loads of histological stuff on larval development
etc but I can't find any good descriptions of adult fish ovary and
testis histology.  I want to do some alpha-autoradiography to see
where my isotope  (210-Po) is getting to, to let me get an
assessment of dose rates to eggs and sperm line cells.  I'd also
like to know if anyone has weight-age data for larval through to
adult fish to help me on feeding rate of activity (Bq/g body wt). I
know different strains may vary in age-weight relationship but any
data would help.

Also, do zebras have their full lifetime number of egg cells early on
or do they have stem cells which divide to produce oogonia during
life?

Any information will be very gratefully  received.
Thanks John