Ocean Journey Aquarium

Virginia Beckey VBeckey at oceanjourney.org
Tue May 2 15:08:18 EST 2000

Hi, My name is Ginny Beckey and I am the lab manager at
Colorado's Ocean Journey, the new aquarium in downtown Denver.
We are collaborating with the Eleanore Roosevelt Institute, where
we will grow and breed the zebrafish for their experiments.  They
are interested in using the zebrafish for studying developmental
expression patterns of genes that are homologous to those on
human chromosome 21.

In determining exactly how to set up the aquaria, I do have a few
questions. First, how long until the hatched fish are sexually
mature? I understand that you prefer to ship only eggs or embryos.
 Second, what is typically the number of eggs laid each time?  I
need to determine how many breeding pairs to aim for to provide
Katheleen Gardiner at Eleanore Roosevelt with the required number
of embryos.

Thank you for your time.

Ginny Beckey
Laboratory Manager