Help with wholemount Immuno

Juliette Faraco faraco at cmgm.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 23 15:28:05 EST 2000

I'm looking to find a contact that can help offer advice on how to do
whole mount immuno on week-old zebrafish.  The experts  in the
Talbot lab here on campus can't offer much advice on larvae that
are that old, since they primarily work with much 0-24 hour fish.  I
really need some help from someone that has experience with
week old zebrafish!

My laboratory is just starting to use zebrafish. We're trying to
study a neuropeptide that is in the mammalian tuberal
hypothalamus and also has been cloned and characterized in
Xenopus (very conserved). We've heard another investigator has
stained slices of carp brain with mammalian antibodies so although
we haven't cloned our gene yet, we believe it's present in the fish.

I want to study the course of development and expression in
zebrafish using whole mounts so that we can develop a technique
for screening of mutants. I've tried three times now, and have lots of
trouble, particularly with the ABC peroxidase step.  I've read and
tried to use several different methods, including the detailed and
useful method by Rachel Macdonald in the Methods in  Dev Bio
series.

I permeabilize them using -20 degree acetone and do the
incubations with antibodies overnight at 4 degrees (2-3 nights for
primary, one night for secondary). Washes are extensive (at least
all day in 5 washes, sometimes over night too)  and the buffer is
PBS + 0.8% triton.  Despite using an avidin/biotin blocking kit
(vector labs) as well as a 30 minute quench in methanol/peroxide, I
think there is some big problem with non-specific peroxidases. At
the end of my protocol after incubation with ABC complex and
extensive washing, I transfer the embryos to DAB (without
peroxide) to pre-incubate. At this step, flocculant debris forms in
the DAB solution. After transfering to DAB with peroxide, the
embryos go dark very quickly, (1-3 minutes) and I don't see
evidence that any staining has the chance to occur within the brain
rather than on the skin.  When I removed some embryos and didn't
expose them to the ABC reagent, the flocculent debris did not
form.  I don't know what this huge systematic problem is, but I
can't proceed.

I don't know what else to try for the wholemount protocol and I need
it to work, so please offer your advice.

thanks in advance,
Juliette Faraco