Postdoctoral & Graduate Student positions

Dr. Maarten Kamermans m.kamermans at ioi.knaw.nl
Thu Sep 14 09:51:43 EST 2000

Postdoctoral and graduate student positions available immediately

Research Unit "Retinal Signal Processing" of the Netherlands
Ophthalmic Research Institute in Amsterdam in the Netherlands
studies the communication between neurons in the retina of the
zebrafish and goldfish. The research has a strong emphasis on the
functional consequences of retinal processing on for the visual
system as a whole. In the laboratory, electrophysiological (patch-
clamp, intracellular and multi-electrode), fluorescent-imaging,
immunocytochemical, molecular biological and behavioral
techniques are used in combination with computer simulations.

For the project "Mechanisms of sustained synaptic transmission"
we are looking for a postdoc (4 years) with a molecular biological
training and a postdoc/graduate student (4 years) with an
electrophysiological background. From both candidates we expect
a strong affinity with functional studies.

The project aims to unravel the mechanisms  of sustained synaptic
transmission in the cone/horizontal/bipolar cell synapse in the
retina of the goldfish and zebrafish. In this project we want to
identify the key proteins involved in the synaptic machinery of the
cone photoreceptors and study their role in synaptic transmission
functionally. That part of the project deals with the relation between
the Ca-current, the Ca-concentration and the synaptic vesicle
release by the cone photoreceptors. Two approaches will followed:
a molecular biological and an electrophysiological/fluorescent-
imaging approach. In the second part of the project we would like
to apply transgenic techniques on zebrafish to interfere with the
synaptic machinery.

For further information and applications:
Dr. Maarten Kamermans
Meibergdreef 15, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
phone: +31 20 566 5180
fax: +31 20 566 6121
email: m.kamermans at ioi.knaw.nl