"forced molt" of zebrafish?

Schech, Joseph (NICHD) schechj at dir6.nichd.nih.gov
Wed Apr 4 11:26:44 EST 2001

Any recommendations on environmental alterations (primarily
photoperiod, temperature and feed or lack thereof) that could be
used to get zebrafish back into their egg-laying cycle?

I have a room of fish that have not produced eggs since there was
rack construction in the room five weeks ago.  We have looked for
other causes but water quality, light periods, feeding all seem to be
fine and not changed any from before the problem started.  Other
fish of the same lines are producing well in another room not
affected by the construction.

It has been suggested by more than one source that we try altering
environmental parameters then bringing them back to current
standards so as to induce a restart of the egg production and
laying cycle similar to "forced molting" practices used in the
chicken industry.  I would like to try this but want to see if any has
method that has worked in a similar situation.

Joseph Mat Schech, D.V.M.
Dipl, ACLAM; Dipl, ACVPM
Bldg. 6B Facility Veterinarian
NICHD, NIH