Why such a high Temperature?????

Dallas Weaver, Ph.D. deweaver at gte.net
Mon Apr 16 10:09:49 EST 2001

In conversations with our customers, it seems that many
researchers are running their systems at 28 C.  When asked why,
the answer is usually along the lines that this is a standard
temperature or in the "zebra fish book". This number does not
appear have any solid scientific basis, it's just the way things
started.

As a commercial producer of zebrafish, I would never consider
operating this species at 28C.  I reproduce zebra danios anywhere
between 21 and 26 C and grow at the same temperatures.  Above
27 C the problems with larval rearing increase and the
bacterial/fungal issues can be more significant. At 28 C, the
evaporation rate is very high and the room can be very humid and
uncomfortable. Even if you don't care about the staff comfort, think
about what that high humidity does to your electronics.

Perhaps it is time for the zebra community to reset the
temperature standard to a temperature that is both better for the
animals and the human researchers along with the associated
instrumentation.  I would suggest 24 to 25 C as a desirable
temperature.  You will find that everything works better in that
temperature range.  With good food and excellent water quality,
you will find that the growth is just as fast as you get at 28C.

>From what I have seen, I get better growth rates at 22-24C than
many laboratories do at 28C (better feeds and water quality).

Dallas

---