I need help categorizing zebrafish transgenic

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Dec 28 21:45:30 EST 2001

I am a member of the Institute Biosafety Committee (IBC)
at University of Massachusetts Medical School (Worcester).
The chair of our committee asked me to try to categorize
zebrafish transgenic experiments relative to the NIH recombinant
DNA guidelines.

The main question is whether such experiments require
PRIOR or SIMULTANEOUS notification to the IBC.
The problem is, I can't find transgenic fish mentioned
anywhere in the NIH guidelines.  So I told the committee
I ranked such experiments in Section III-E-2-b-5
with "arthropods and other small animals".  If this
is true, the expts would require only simultaneous
notification to the IBC (as with rodent transgenics
using risk group-1 genes).

Thanks.

Dave Adams
Associate Professor