mesh screens for breeding

PZ Myers myers at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 16:49:39 EST 2001

In article <95mr9j$edj$1 at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>,
jmurtha at med.umich.edu ("Jill murtha") wrote:

> Hello!  I've been breeding zebrafish using marbles, but
> recently someone suggested to me that there are systems with
> mesh screens that would be easier than using marbles.  Does
> anyone know if or where such a thing is available?  Or do I
> just go out and buy some sort of mesh from the hardware store
> and stick it at the bottom of the tank for the eggs to fall
> through?  If so, what type and size mesh do I use?  Thanks in
> advance.

I've been making quick and easy mesh screens with this stuff I
picked up at our local WalMart, in their craft section. They have
sheets of plastic mesh that are used in some kind of stitchery --
the #7 mesh is exactly the right size, with holes that eggs
easily fall through.  I just cut it and bend it into a box shape,
held together with hot glue (it's fun...you'll have a Martha
Stewart moment in the lab), with a few fishing sinkers imbedded
in the glue to make sure it sinks.

The brand I've got is:

Uniek, Inc.
Waunakee, WI
(800) 248-6435
=B3Quick-Count=B2 7 Mesh Plastic Canvas, #57301 (this is the clear
plastic kind. You can also get it in different colors)

It was dirt cheap, too -- a couple of dollars for a package with
a half-dozen sheets.

--
PZ Myers