ionic strengths for zebrafish culture medium

Chi-Bin Chien chi-bin.chien at hsc.utah.edu
Fri Jan 12 18:20:45 EST 2001

We are about to start trying to do some retinal cultures, and I'm wondering
what would be the best osmotic strength culture medium to use. I have seen
protocols ranging from 70% to 100% L-15 (a mammalian medium); the fish
Ringer's in the Zebrafish Book is about 116 mM (a little thinner than
mammalian Ringer's).

Has anyone (a) ever done a careful test of different culture media, or (b)
made a careful measurement of the ionic composition of zebrafish blood?

Thanks for any help,

Chi-Bin Chien

---