decreased facility egg production

Mike Kacergis kacergis at box-k.nih.gov
Wed Mar 21 17:54:27 EST 2001

Looking for a response from other zebrafish facilities that have
experienced similar drops in egg production:

About four weeks ago we had a system upgrade. Our one-liter
racks, originally steel that rusted quite badly=8A(note: stay away
from steel in a fish room for all the obvious reason), were replaced
with beautiful stainless steel racks. The one-liter rack plumbing
was isolated via ball valve and the rest of the system operated
normally with the exception of with reduced feeding schedule. Rack
replacement occurred over the course of three days, with a fair
amount of PVC gluing. The gluing did generate a strong odor within
the fish room. The system was flushed and water resumed flowing
to the one-liter tanks.

Only two days after the work was completed egg production
appeared normal. The following week (three weeks ago) egg
production from all lines within the facility ceased. These were fish
housed in two-liter tanks on the same loop as the one liters.
Normally fecund lines of wildtypes produced nothing. These
crossings represent several wildtype lines of varying age groups,
which rules out old fish lines. This egg drought continued for next
two weeks bringing us to the present. Today egg production seems
to have recover slightly.

Has anyone ever experienced such a drop in production post work
in a facility? Does anyone have information on the leaching of PVC
glue/solvent into system water over time? Feel free to respond
directly to my Email address or share with the rest of the group.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Michael Kacergis