Zebrafish cDNA microarray

Michael Lardelli michael.lardelli at adelaide.edu.au
Tue May 8 09:58:49 EST 2001

Dear Zebrafish community,

I need your help to assess the level of interest in the zebrafish
community for a microarray of zebrafish cDNAs.

For the past few months I have been negotiating with a couple of
organizations in Australia for the production of a micorarray of
10,000 zebrafish cDNAs. The array would be made from a
normalized library of cDNAs corresponding to the 5' ends of
transcripts. (The cDNAs are 0.5 - 1 kb in length and are produced
by a novel method that we have developed.) Initially the identity of
the clones on the array would be unknown but we will probably pay
for up to 1000 of them to be sequenced ourselves and, if users
identified interesting clones, they could ask to have them
sequenced themselves. Anyway, just when everything seemed
rosy and we appeared to have found support from a funding body to
pay the Australian Genome Research Facility to make the
microarray, the supporting fund (a "charity") changed its policy to
one of cost recovery and now wants to know that it will eventually
get its money back by sales of the microarrays!

The only way to save the day is to see whether there is sufficient
demand out there (internationally) to make the fund feel confident
that it will eventually get its money back. What I need to know from
you is whether, if the microarray described above were available,
would you be interested in purchasing it and how many would you
purchase per year?

The microarrays would probably cost around Australian$200 each to
purchase (= US$100 each).

I am not looking for commitments, just expressions of probable
interest. Please send your replies ASAP!

Sincerely,

Michael Lardelli
_______________________
Michael Lardelli
Department of Molecular Biosciences
Discipline of Genetics and
   Special Research Centre for the
   Molecular Genetics of Development
Adelaide University
5005
AUSTRALIA

Tel.    (Aust. = 61) (0)8 8303 3212  direct
        (Aust. = 61) (0)8 8303 5633  departmental secretary
Fax.    (Aust. = 61) (0)8 8303 4399
e-mail. michael.lardelli at adelaide.edu.au

Visit our UPDATED (!) website at:

http://www.science.adelaide.edu.au/genetics/lardelli/lardellilabwww.
html

And now, a word from our legal department ...
and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please do
not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents of
this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please
delete this email and any copies or links to this email
completely and immediately from your system.  No
representation is made that this email is free of viruses.
Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility
of  the recipient.