Thanks for your help on microarrays

Michael Lardelli michael.lardelli at adelaide.edu.au
Tue May 15 09:39:38 EST 2001

Dear Zebrafish Community,

Thank you for your replies and support regarding interest in a
microarray of zebrafish cDNAs. I have collated these replies and
sent them to the funding body who might make a decision at the
end of the month.

If you are interested in microarrays but did not yet reply to my
and I will pass these on - the more support we can show for this
the better! To this end, I have included a copy of my original
message at the bottom of this one. I would also like to answer
some questions that were asked in the replies that I have received
so far:

1) Our immediate intention is to produce an array of cDNAs from
embryos at 12 hours post fertilisation (@ 28.5C) and so it should
include genes active in neurulation and somitogenesis. However,
even if your work involves later or earlier stages of development the
fact is that the array should represent approximately 10,000 genes
(1/4? of the genome) and so should produce useful information for
most applications.

2) We have decided not to produce microarrays from those libraries
for which sequencing has already been performed for the following
reasons: A) The insert sizes are not necessarily optimal for PCR
amplification - this seems to be the method of choice for DNA
production for microarraying. Since our cDNA library is produced
by a PCR-based method the clones are proven to be amplifiable. B)
Apparently, there are relatively high levels of misidentification of
clones in these libraries necessitating the resequencing of the
clones in any case. C) The opportunity to produce a cDNA library
from 5' ends gives information useful for morpholino expression
knockdown experiments and promoter isolation. D) The
presequenced/arrayed libraries must be purchased.

3) Our intention is for the microarrays to be produced by The
Australian Genome Research Facility. This national facility is
experienced in production of microarrays (so quality should be
high) and would also administer distribution of the microarrays and
sequencing/distribution of clones of interest etc.

4) If demand were high enough, I imagine that, once costs had
been recovered, any further income from distribution of the
microarrays could be put into furthering the sequencing of the
10,000 clones.

5) The timeline for all this? We have already produced the
(normalized) library and are currently checking its level of
redundancy. I believe that AGRF can move into production rapidly
once funds are available.

Once again, please send any additional messages indicating
interest in this microarray as soon as possible. It is even more
helpful if you can indicate how many copies you might want in the
first year. Of course, there is NO obligation on your part to request
the arrays if they are produced.

Sincerely,

Michael Lardelli