question about zebrafish breeding

Dallas Weaver, Ph.D. deweaver at gte.net
Mon Oct 15 10:04:07 EST 2001

Along with temperature, feed type, feed quality and density are very
relevant to growth rate.  Maximum rates use live feeds and low
densities.

The highest growth rates that I have achieved in cultures of pure
zebra fish have allowed me to go from egg to egg in 47 days.  This
is with all live food, 10 fish/l, 28 C and good water quality.  I have
observed some zebra fish larva contaminating another species of
larval fish with the zebra density down around 50 / M3 with 100,000
/ m3 white cloud mountain minnow larva.  The zebra larva out grew
the white clouds to the point the zebra larva were eating the
smaller white clouds and the growth rate was the fastest I have
ever seen.

Optimal rearing conditions require excellent filtration systems.  If
your water filter system, where the biofilms in the biofilter are
substrate (pollutant) limited and the bacteria in the biofilm don't
have to compete for space, the bacteria with eat everything that is
biodegradable. If the bacteria are competing for space (habitat),
some trace waste products from the fish can buildup and impact
the fish growth rate. This latter case is a known problem with
goldfish which produce pheromones that decrease the growth rate
and metabolism of other goldfish.  There are indications, but no
publications that I know of, that the same phenomena occurs in
zebra fish and others species.

Dallas E. Weaver, Ph.D.  <deweaver at get.net>
Scientific Hatcheries
5542 Engineer Dr.
Huntington Beach, Ca 92649 USA
714-890-0138
Fax 714-890-2778

> I am interested in zebrafish breeding, and I would like to know, at
> what age they reach a size of 2,5 cm. under optimal rearing
> conditions. Furthermore, I would like to ask if someone could send
> me growth rates and e.g. a growth table of larvae, at different
> temperatures.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Kind regards, Jacqueline Geervliet

---