question about zebrafish breeding

Dr Peter Cattin p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 15 15:55:54 EST 2001

A point in your comment, Dallas, that I think is non-sequitur.  There
is no doubt that maximum growth requires optimal water quality,
and that an important part of this process is the provision of an
adequate substrate (space) for the bacteria  required to remove
metabolic wastes etc.  It would be reasonable to assume that an
inadequate supply of these bacteria will negatively impact on the
growth rate and general health of the fish.   I would suggest though,
that the relationship between an inadequate supply of denitrifying
bacteria and goldfish producing growth inhibiting pheromones is
pretty tenuous.  A single fish in a large volume of poor quality water
will not grow well without pheromones.

Do you have references on the goldfish pheromone phenomena as I
would like to read about it?

Finally, you have remarked on the "why 28oC temperature" for
growing zebra fish - which is a point that was puzzling me, yet
there does seem to be some truth in the excellent growth rate of
zebra fish at this temperature.  Any ideas as to why?

Thanks and regards,

Peter Cattin
--
Peter Cattin PhD
Division of Molecular Medicine

Tel: +64-9-373-7599 xtn. 6373
Fax: +64-9-373-7492

"Dallas Weaver, Ph.D." wrote:

> Along with temperature, feed type, feed quality and density are very
> relevant to growth rate.  Maximum rates use live feeds and low
> densities.
>
> The highest growth rates that I have achieved in cultures of pure
> zebra fish have allowed me to go from egg to egg in 47 days.  This
> is with all live food, 10 fish/l, 28 C and good water quality.  I
> have observed some zebra fish larva contaminating another species of
> larval fish with the zebra density down around 50 / M3 with 100,000
> / m3 white cloud mountain minnow larva.  The zebra larva out grew
> the white clouds to the point the zebra larva were eating the
> smaller white clouds and the growth rate was the fastest I have ever
> seen.
>
> Optimal rearing conditions require excellent filtration systems.  If
> your water filter system, where the biofilms in the biofilter are
> substrate (pollutant) limited and the bacteria in the biofilm don't
> have to compete for space, the bacteria with eat everything that is
> biodegradable. If the bacteria are competing for space (habitat),
> some trace waste products from the fish can buildup and impact the
> fish growth rate. This latter case is a known problem with goldfish
> which produce pheromones that decrease the growth rate and
> metabolism of other goldfish.  There are indications, but no
> publications that I know of, that the same phenomena occurs in zebra
> fish and others species.
>
> Dallas E. Weaver, Ph.D.  <deweaver at get.net>
> Scientific Hatcheries
> 5542 Engineer Dr.
> Huntington Beach, Ca 92649 USA
> 714-890-0138
> Fax 714-890-2778
>
> > I am interested in zebrafish breeding, and I would like to know,
> > at what age they reach a size of 2,5 cm. under optimal rearing
> > conditions. Furthermore, I would like to ask if someone could send
> > me growth rates and e.g. a growth table of larvae, at different
> > temperatures.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Kind regards, Jacqueline Geervliet
> >

> ---