Response

Dr Peter Cattin p.cattin at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 15 16:00:11 EST 2001

Hi Eric,

As mentioned by Bonnie Ullmann, you should look to the zebrafish
web site at www.zfin.org specifically and look at the Developmental
Staging Series to see the generally accepted growth rates at 28.5
degrees C.  A strange temperature to work at as it would not be a
temperature zebrafish regularly encounter in the wild.  However!!!

The size of 2.5 cm is well past the point of reaching sexual
maturity which is typically closer to 20 mm than 25 mm and
normally takes about 4-5 months to reach depending on water
temperature, stocking density, feed quality, water quality etc.

Growth rates will always tend to reasonably linear with fish growth
generally referred to as being indeterminate and reflecting the micro
environment rather than the age of the fish per ce.  This means that
most fish will grow at a rate and to size determined as much by
their immediate "circumstances" as to some predetermined,
genetically controlled rate.  Obviously genes play a substantial role
in this but probably less of a role than in many other animal
groups.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Peter Cattin

--
Peter Cattin PhD
Division of Molecular Medicine

Tel: +64-9-373-7599 xtn. 6373
Fax: +64-9-373-7492

Eric Lobee wrote:

> I am interested in zebrafish breeding, and I would like to know, at
> what age they reach a size of 2,5 cm. under optimal rearing
> conditions. Furthermore, I would like to ask if someone could send
> me growth rates and e.g. a growth table of larvae, at different
> temperatures.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Kind regards, Jacqueline Geervliet

---